Sunday, May 3, 2009

A pocket full of sunshine...

One of my great friends, (Elizabeth) , believes that "boys smell like sunshine." I really love that saying. While there is most definitely a distinct odor about boys, that odor is the result of sunny days played outside in the mud; exploring, climbing and discovering. I love the quirks that are uniquely boyish.

So on a beautiful sunny day I was sorting laundry... as the laundress I am in the habit of emptying all pocket contents into a jar on top of my laundry machine before starting a load. If you are not in the habit of doing this get in the habit. It only took one load washed with a red marker (from my waitress apron in college) to make me a thorough pocket inspector. It can be a tedious job but it often yields great rewards. Like crumpled dollar bills (finders keepers right?), lost earrings, important phone numbers written on scraps of papers, you get the point. I was going through pockets and I came to Cole's jeans, there in his pocket was a little glimpse into the mind of a BOY. His own pocket of treasures he wants to keep away from his little brother. Pulling out this handful of Cole , warmth spread to my heart. I put a lot of pressure on Cole and this was a reminder that he is still a little boy and should be allowed to behave as such.


Pocket contents: Bakugan, loose change, two mini lightbulbs, a marble and a smooth shiny rock. Does it get anymore boy than that?

I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for giving me special moments of reflection and introspection. They help fasten my feet to the ground and keep my life in perspective. I am grateful for boys and the whiff of "sunshine" they bring to life. Most importantly I am grateful for my Cole who never ceases to make me smile or teach me something new.

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

My question is where on earth did he get those light bulbs, and where in your house is there a dark room?

Do you think you'll find that purple scrap of fabric if you went through Cole's pockets? He seems like a McGyver type of collector :)

Angie said...

Isn't it nice that we get those sweet moments to remind us of how much we love our kids, in between all the crazy moments? I don't think it's a coincidence.

libbie said...

Love this post! I am most curious where he got the two small lightbulbs! That is so funny! have fun on your cruise. we love you guys to pieces!

Elisha said...

Grace has found a new friend named Joey. It is like a God-sent that he looks EXACTLY like Cole. The big brown eyes, dimples, hair the same, long and lean.... the strangest thing, isn't it? It is a reminder that Grace does have a friend out there (in this big world) named Cole. Cole is something of a rare find! Like Sunshine in Seattle as we used to know. I miss Cole so much and boys.... to know the likes of three we found out Friday that three girls it will be. What a great Mom you are - To you who gives your boys a world of wonder to explore, a heart most tender, and a laugh to remember. Thanks for the tip. I will look for more sunshine. Love, Elisha

The Yancey Family said...

That is so cute! I have moments like that with my girlies from time to time. They just soften my heart and make me love being a mom! Cole is such a cutie!

Liz said...

So sweet! My boys' pockets are always filled with dirt and cars. I LOVE boys!