Sunday, October 19, 2008

I am a domestic goddess

Ok, not really seeing that I had to call a friend to tell me what the inside of a zucchini was suppose to look like. Perhaps you could say I am a domestic demi-goddess. I can clean and decorate like no other but I am not very confident in my cooking skills. My "Best of" cookbook includes a Guinness potroast, Southwest steak salad and a chocolate cake. I will try any food once and I will attempt any recipe. But that's the key, I won't venture past the recipe. That's the point of this story. Sorry it's taken this long to get to it.

My bro-in-law Morgan brought be 7 ginormous zuchs from his mom's garden and I really had no idea what to do with them. In an effort to impress my incredibly gorgeous and culinary-advanced husband I decided yesterday to make zucchini bread. Morgan said the zucchini's got too huge and it may have messed with the flavor, I don't know about that but it felt wrong to let them go to waste. (I am amazed by what Heavenly Father has provided us to eat). One zucchini yielded 6 cups of shred. My recipe called for 2 cups of zuch to make 2 loaves. I didn't want to triple the batch because I am huge preggo monster and really could not stand the heat of the oven being on any longer than necessary. But I felt like 2 cups wasn't enough zucchini so I was brazen and I added another cup to the recipe. It was fun to digress from the recipe. Though in retrospect I probably could have used all 6 cups because while the bread was delicious I didn't really get a zucchini vibe from it. Josh and Morgan loved it but that's because in my zeal to throw the recipe to the wind I decided to add a crumb topping to the bread, you know the kind you add to blueberry muffins? I made it with brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, flour, walnuts and a lot of cold margarine. It really made the bread. So it was a small culinary victory for me and my recipe-following strictness. 6 more zucchinis to go, tonight we are making zucchini brownies.




1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Is that a dish towel that Cole is wearing? Very cute.

That's exciting! I love messing with a recipe and having it turn out fantastic. Well done. Share the recipe!