Saturday, February 14, 2009

A love letter...

To my best friend-

I have spent a month showing the man I love what he means to me. I think he gets it, so today I decided to write a different kind of love letter, a love letter to my best friend. Perhaps we are well-suited to each other. Neither of us is very good at expressing in person the kind of affection we feel. We say goodbye like we will simply see the each other tomorrow when in fact we say goodbye for months at a time. It’s one of the things I love about you. You don’t expect me to be a simpering female friend. I can call you every day or only once a week and you don’t feel neglected or resentful. However, this year I resolved to be a better friend. For you this means letting you know how much I love you. And since we are both so emotionally retarded in our expression of love, I decided to write it in a form we both love, blog post.

When I showed Josh my love letter to you he said “you sound like a lesbian.” Men don’t understand a woman’s ability to truly love another woman, yet, that is how I love you. I can hardly write these words without being overcome with emotion because you are singularly the most important friend of my life. Every milestone I approach I feel immense gratitude to you because without you and your amazing testimony of Jesus Christ I would not have the life I love. You were the answer to my prayers at a time in my life that I so badly needed direction. Without you (and your husband) I know I would never have been able to marry the man I love in the temple or have my children born under the covenant. You are a wonderful example to me of hard work, motherhood and creativity. You call yourself “mediocre,” which I find so surprising because to me you are anything but. You are generous and warm and make the best pulled chicken sannys and chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted.

I miss you terribly. I know Josh misses you too because there are times when he just doesn’t understand what I am going through and he says “why don’t you go call your best friend.” He knows that you have a way of putting things in perspective and making me feel whole in a way only a best friend like you can do.
You are a stunning beauty, not because you have great bangs and gorgeous eyes, but because you endeavor to make others happy. You have made me so happy and I thank my Heavenly Father for you. So call me a lesbian, I don’t mind, just as long as you let me love you through the eternities, wearing dress sweats, drinking Diet Pepsi and eating Red Robin.

1 comment:

libbie said...

Okay . . . I LOVE YOU! And yes, we are both emotionally retarded and perhaps lesbians deep down (i think our boys agree with that). I am bawling, and you know that doesn't happen often. We would be lost without you guys. I would be lost without you . . . . who else would I vent to about my crazy life. I miss you like crazy and am always thinking of you and your boys. Thank you for being an amazing best friend. Thank you for all YOU do for me. YOU my friend, are the AMAZING ONE.