Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dear Red-Hair Grandma...

... I always know that I am getting close to home when I start seeing billboards for Little America. Do you remember the place?



When I saw the first sign about 100 miles from Rock Springs, a little breath caught in my throat. I remembered when you and grandpa picked us up in Denver and took us to the cabin in Montpelier. You had an inspired idea, you wrote down the names of all the cities we would have to pass before we got to the cabin and you had us cross them off as we came to them. Cheyenne, Larimie, Rawlins, etc. GENIUS! I am sure it saved you a couple earfuls of "are we there yet?" We stopped in Little America, tradition I suppose. No more 33 cent ice cream cones, they are 50 cents now.

The kids thought the extra 17 cents was worth it...





...so did I!


Not the most beautiful drive. Though some of the expanse is filled with giant wind turbine farms. There is something so graceful yet violent about those monster pin wheels whirling in the wind.



Wish the boys could have seen the cabin. I have some great memories there. I am excited though about them making some of their own memories at the ranch. We miss you and thought of you today as we continued our trip!

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

So did you make it home yet?

I have always wanted to get up close to one of the wind turbines to see how big it actually is. Kraig and I always make guesses, "I bet one of those branches is as big as an elephant." "I bet it's as big as a semi."