Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hot chocolate...

...on July 4th!

Yes, it's true. On Independence Day we enjoyed fireworks with giant steaming cups of hot cocoa. I can honestly say I cannot remember an Independence Day in Colorado that required hoodies and hot cocoa. I loved it!




This is the first Independence Day we spent around town. We didn't know what to do with ourselves! But with Cash sick we knew we couldn't venture too far so we did the best thing we could think of, we ate and played on the slip and slide. Could there be two more American pastimes? We had family and friends over for some traditional American fare; chili dogs, potato salad and corn on the cob with three types of butter! I made marionberry cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream, it was delicious!

Of course we engaged in another American tradition, spirited debate! I won't bore you with another round of our family debate. However, I will say one of the reasons I love this country is the fact that we can have discussions and dissent (well, usually) and no one locks us up.

The biggest debate last night was which fireworks display to attend! It was between Aurora and Parker and we went back and forth. Pappy had bought some fireworks for the boys so we went out front to continue the show debate and watch the boys light sparklers. While we were out front we found that we had the best seats in Colorado for a private fireworks show put on by some neighbors two blocks away. I am not talking about bottle rockets or fountains in the street. I am talking about professional quality in-the-air fireworks that started at about 8:30 and ended at 10:00. We kept waiting for the cops to come bust it up because it was so loud and amazing and not discreet at all. I am thinking now that they must have had a permit. Anyway, the fireworks were so close that ash and cinder was landing all over our street and cars, hmmmm, maybe that's why fireworks are illegal! Thank goodness for the rain! When the show finally died down there was an eerie post-apocalyptic feel to the street, heavy smoke-tinged air cloaked kids lighting some bottle rockets. You couldn't see them but you could hear their laughter. It got us talking again about the morbidity of fireworks as a celebration. When you think about what the fireworks represent suddenly the smoke and ashes aren't so fun.

Did you know I love Independence Day? Josh says I am ridiculous because when people say "Have a great Fourth of July!" I reply "You have a great Independence Day!" Why am I so impertinent? I am so rude because I want people to remember why we are celebrating the Fourth of July! Contrary to the ongoing socialization of America, it was not dependence on a giant government that made America. It was brave citzen-statesmen, people like you and I, who said "we've had enough!" I would like to think that I would have the courage to commit treason for the goal of freedom.

I love this country and feel so grateful to my Heavenly Father for allowing me to grow up here in the United States. I hope my children will develop my passion for freedom and my love of what makes America great.

5 comments:

SnellieFam said...

I couldn't agree with you more!

libbie said...

Amen . . . . and I just love you to pieces!

Elisha said...

What kind of debate would it be without Tom Barry?... Luckily you have family around to end on love and peace. We sure miss the times we would sit and talk for hours. Even the simplest of freedoms were great with you. Happy Independence Day!

Love ya,
Elisha

Liz said...

You made me cry. I'm so proud to be an American and I pray every night that our country and our freedoms will survive the onslaught of stupid people who don't know what they are giving up for the sake of a few more dollars and a bit more temporary popularity.

Thanks for sharing your Independence Day celebration with us. You are a very fantastically descriptive writer and visiting your blog is like reading a really good book you don't want to put down for the night! :0)

Loves to your family from ours! Hope you're having a wonderful summer.

PA said...

You may like to consider the fireworks and their morbidity a vivid reminder of what it has taken to make and to date preserve this country. I'm afraid it may all to soon be nothing but a requiem....a dirge.