Thursday, July 9, 2009

One down...

...two to go! (Thanks for the saying Jacqui it exactly expresses my feelings!)

Cole started kindergarten. No, I did not cry. Yes, I have severe anxiety about the whole thing. I worry about what his teacher is teaching him (like global warming and "going green", horrifying!). I worry that kids aren't kids anymore. They're six years old and drink soy lattes and talk about what's on their playlist and who kissed who on "Gossip Girl." I want him to stay sweet and innocent as long as possible, maybe I should've homeschooled!

Cole, however, is loving it. "I can't believe I GET to go to school everyday," he says, when I pick him up. He is learning the Pledge of Allegiance and so far God is still in there. He has a friend in a cast, though Cole can't remember his name. And most importantly, he loves his teacher. Added bonus, school comes early for my sleep-in king, so he is utterly exhausted by 7:00 pm. He has begged us to go to bed each night and since Finn has to do what Cole does, we've had peace and quiet each night by 8:00 pm.

So, as long as he is happy, I am happy. Although I am an anxiety-ridden, nail-biting nutcase right now, I know Cole is ready for school and thrives with the structure. I will spend some more time in plow pose to work out this anxiety and I will focus on getting Finn ready for preschool! Only two to go!

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

What a cool kindergardener you have! I bet everyone wants to be Cole's friend.

I can't remember--does he got half day or full-day every other day?

Elisha said...

Remember when... Cole and Grace were just crawling. Maybe we are not the only ones getting old (besides 30 O'l Josh). I'm glad I have a month before Grace is off to school. Your worries are much the same as mine.

The Marshall Family said...

Hey Erika! Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and words on my blog post. I'm so glad you posted so I could skip over here and check out your sweet family! Isn't 3 boys just the best. your kids are so cute. I will try to update my blog after the surgery. Its on wednesdy. I miss you too. Hopefully it isn't another 15 years to another family reunion.

Liz said...

What's "plow pose?"

You are such a great mom, Erika! I think that you'll take that anxiety and turn it into a healthy awareness that will ensure your child a healthy ride through public school. Lots of people who homeschool actually go back and forth depending on the needs of their child(ren). You may find at some point that Cole doesn't like school anymore or you disapprove of the curriculum or something, and then you could try homeschooling. Or, he may just breeze right through with no problems. Whatever the case, your awareness is key and it appears you have that in droves! :P

Best of luck for you and all three little men!