Sunday, January 31, 2010

Durable...

...beauty.



How many times have I walked passed this little patch of pansies? They line the pathway to our front door. The little English garden is dead/dormant...except for this remarkable beauty. The weather this winter has been dry... but at times, bitterly cold. How amazingly beautiful and durable is this amazing plant?

Allow me, if you will, to be sentimental. Seeing this flower, smiling at me in the morning sun, reminded me of the durable beauty of the women in my life. How many women do you know who endure bitterly cold trials in their lives while maintaining amazing grace and beauty? Life around them may be falling apart yet there they stand with a smile on their face, if only for the benefit and morale of their loved ones. In Austenland (not the book but the general genre of literature) men described women as delicate flowers requiring careful attention and handling, YUCK. Women are, in fact, flowers. But the kind that push up through frozen earth, the kind that emerge unscathed from under three feet of snow, the kind that may go unnoticed because they don't need to be carefully attended to, they can handle themselves. I am grateful for these flowers in my life.

3 comments:

provobaileys said...

That was a lovely tribute to women. when I was reading it I thought of your mom and granny Hunter. Both amazing strong durable women who always do their best and the some.

Jacqui said...

I would certainly put you into that category of women, Friend.

libbie said...

what an amazing post! So very well witten. I couldn't agree more. i also . . . . .agree with jacqui. you are definitley in this catergory . . . how blessed i am to have you in my life.