Friday, November 14, 2008

Size matters...

not in that way, Libbie get your mind out of the gutter. No I am talking about matters of size. A baby makes you reflect on size not just in the physical sense but in the evaluation of what's important in my life. Here are a few examples.

Physical: Finn is not my baby anymore. He is huge! He takes up 3/4 of his crib now and when I change his diaper I might as well be changing an old man's diaper when compared to the newborn swaddlers on Cash.

Metaphysical: How big is it if I bathe Finn in the sink after an explosive diaper because I am too exhausted to walk upstairs?















Physical: Cash is my BIGGEST baby, yet, he is too small to fit into newborn clothes let alone the 0-3 months hand-me-downs from his big brothers.
















Metaphysical: It is no small thing the love you can feel for someone you've only known for a week.

Physical: My belly is so big that people on the street are still asking me when I am due.

Metaphysical: I have three little boys, did you get that? THREE LITTLE BOYS! I get to raise boys that WILL become stripling warriors, serving missions and taking brides to the temple. The magnitude of that blessing/burden is ginormous! I feel so blessed to look upon my little family and realize that this is my eternity. Yes, there will be additions down the road, but for the next 18 years this is us moving forward!

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

You are so wonderful, Erika. New little babies bring such a spirit of reflection and you are so poetic in expressing it.

Elizabeth said...

I think you've summed it up beautifully.Isn't it funny that who you thought was your baby suddenly turns big in a blink of an eye as soon as you have another one. You've got a wonderful family and you are such a good mom to raise these boy warriors that you've been blessed with!

SnellieFam said...

What beautiful sentiments! You may be exhausted, but you are amazing! Congratulations on having an extraordinary family!

libbie said...

Ha Ha! You had me at size matters! For reals though. I love this post. I was just thinking yesterday about how I came down for your birthday, and Finn was only 4 months, and now he is such a big boy. Wow. Time flies, and I am getting old. And I couldn't think of anyone else who would do such a fantastic job raising three stripling warriors. You are Josh are such good parents and I just adore you guys and your kids.

The Yancey Family said...

Wow, three boys! Something about bringing a baby home gets you thinking about the big picture doesn't it? After reading the last part about your boys becoming warriors and missionaries, I really want a boy! Also, I love that picture of the baby foot, it must be Cash's right?

Ranting of a Frustrated Pregnant Woman said...

I love those little toes. You make cute boys!