Sunday, December 28, 2008

"Oh that we might always see such spirit through the year..."

This Christmas was the best Christmas to date. Let me tell you why... we practiced what we preached. This year Josh and I committed to relish the season by serving others. We agreed to go light on the gift giving amongst our well-cared-for family and instead use our money to help others. I focused on giving of not just my sustenance but of my time and talents as well. This meant swallowing my pride/fear and singing for the Christmas Eve Devotional. This meant braving HOT TOPIC to find the perfect "Twilight" tee-shirt for my Excelsior girl. This meant that even with all that I gave to serve my Heavenly Father the scales are still tipped. You see our Savior, Jesus Christ, gave us the ultimate gift. To show my appreciation I live to serve, a small way to try and balance the scales. But there's a problem, service doesn't balance the scales, not really, because the overwhelming feeling I got as I gave freely is so all-encompassing and amazing that I am once again indebted to my Heavenly Father. Giving is so selfish!

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

We did that last year--exed our christmas a gave to another family. It was wonderful. This year just wasn't the same feeling.

PS. You look great in that dress and I LOVE the shoes. How did I not notice those at church?

The Yancey Family said...

You are so right! I love Christmas, it really doesn't have anything to do with the gifts. It's the joy and love that you feel for everyone around you. We have been so poor over the last few years, we've had to be creative in our giving, and I have found that my favorite Christmas moments are those serving others.

P.S. You do look really HOT!!

libbie said...

Yep . . . and thats why I love you. AND I am going to practice what you preach . . . for REALS next year. Actually it doesn't even have to be Christmas time to serve. I already have some ideas up my sleeve!

Oh, and yes. . . you are hot! Always.