Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It's only a matter of inches...

...but skipping gets me just that much closer to Heaven. -unknown

I broke my toe.
I broke it skipping.
*Pause for gratuitous laughter*




Here's what happened. My BFF called. She's like a living breathing SSRI. No joke. After we hung up I felt infinitely lighter, so light I decided to skip down the hallway. Skip skip skippy skip skip wam! Left ring finger toe (I don't know what it's called) into the door jamb. It hurts. What's worse, there is nothing I can do about it. The doc says it should take 6-weeks to heal. 6 WEEKS! That's 2/3rd of my half-marathon training schedule. I don't know what hurts more, the broken toe or not being able to pound the pavement?

Never thought I would be sad that I can't go running.




Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8 comments:

Laena said...

Aw man! And you've been working so hard!!! You'll still do it. You're too awesome not to. And yes, it is a little weird to hear you sad about not running... ;)

Love you

Erika said...

I am going to walk the track tomorrow and see how it feels. Thanks for the support.

PA said...

You keep that up and you'll have giant curly toes like mine. BTW it's called a "punta izquierda del anillo."

Erika said...

Pa, I knew you would know what it was called!

I stub my toes weekly, I don't know why I can control my feet. This was the first time one broke.

I ignored the doc's advice and strapped on my shoes today. It hurts just having shoes on. So I did elliptical barefoot. I am sure the people at the gym thought I was a freak. Oh well, don't want to be behind in my race training.

Laena said...

You are AMAZING!!!

Erika said...

Laena,

No, YOU are amazing!

Jacqui said...

No WAY! you are jumping from a 5K to a half marathon! That is awesome. I am doing a tri in september :) We'll see how it goes!

Erika said...

Jacqui-

I have a 10k in Oct. But with the toe, we will see.

My half isn't till January so I think I will be fine there!

That's awesome, about the tri, is it a sprint? I wanted to do a sprint tri at the end of september, a little concerned about the swimming.