Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Someone's sitting in the shade today...

...because someone planted a tree a long time ago. -Warren Buffett

We are planting trees.
Not for anything as noble as giving a child, 20 years from now, a shade tree.
Josh is planting trees because, and I quote, "I like trees."

We literally live on the ugliest 13 acres of land in Colorado. That might be an exaggeration. Sure, we have a remarkable view and lush rolling hills, but the previous owners "focused" on the house. I say "focused" because the house is full of painstakingly-created painted murals and faux finishes. Finishes that have required massive amounts of roller coverage to remedy. I digress, the previous owners lived in their house and didn't spend much if any time cultivating the beauty of their land. We bought this piece of property to give our boys a place to, well, BE BOYS! That means a lot of outside time. So the boys, Pappy & Josh, have spent a lot of hours, sweat & soil planting trees. 60+ so far.

We bought a lot of trees for pennies last fall from a tree farm that was liquidating. Long story short, we heeled them in for the winter and now they need to get in the ground. Starting first with my favorite tree. It's a fat and stumpy Austrian pine. It is over 10 feet tall and Josh says it weighs "a-freakin'-lot." It's a technical term. Morgan graciously offered to help the boys plant. It was quite the production involving 2x4s, tow chains, a tire and Pappy's Blue Jay (FJ cruiser). Of course it was all supervised by el jefe(Cash).



Fingers crossed that "stumpy" takes root! I have big plans for him this holiday season!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6 comments:

libbie said...

I can't wait to get myself back to your 13 acres next summer. And El Jefe is looking HUGE!

Erika said...

I can't wait for you to come back too! The pic of jefe is deceiving, he's still a squirt! Now that he's about to turn three he can finally wear a 3t. But barely. I hope by next summer we will have a pool. Fingers-crossed!

Jacqui said...

So you are the proud owners of all of those trees that were by the road into your house? You guys will have a forrest soon!

PS, I finally got a real word verification: recess. It just feeds into my anxeity about school starting in three days :)

Jacqui said...

I have started passing my time waiting for Kraig in the evenings by watching The Office on Netflix. So many times I've been on the cusp of calling or texting because it reminds me of some funny converstation we had or side joke. I miss you!

Erika said...

Jacqui-

No we aren't suppose to own those trees. Call me sometime, I'll tell you all the sordid details. It involves a loser and alcholism.

I still love The Office. Every Office episode has a real world application! I don't know if it will be the same without Steve Carrell but I do love James Spader and think he'll bring something new to the show.

Netflix is my obsession. I watch all the bonnett movies I can get my hands on!

I miss you too!

PA said...

"¡Este árbol no es bastante gordo! ¡Trabajo más difícilmente!" el jefe Cassius Maximus.