Friday, August 5, 2011

"When a teacher calls a boy by his entire name...

...it means trouble." - Mark Twain

I love summer. *sigh*
Back to school. *double sigh*

Cole is officially in the second grade. How did that happen?

I am such a terrible mother too because I have been complaining incessantly about it! First, I decided to be proactive and order an EduKit. What was I thinking? Sure, I saved roughly $10-$15 in school supplies but I was denied one of my favorite rites, back-to-school shopping. Who doesn't love smelling boxes of bright and shiny crayons? Who doesn't savor running their fingertips over the cold coils of spiral notebooks? Second complaint, Cole gets on the bus at 8:25am and does not get off the bus until 4:48pm. That's such a long day for the little man. His brothers miss him terribly, who is supposed to parent now that Cole is back in school? ;-)
Third, last time I checked, I finished second grade, graduated high school and have a bachelor's degree. Why do I have to do homework? You know what I am talking about. This crazy math! It's the way they are teaching it, I have to study the method for hours just to realize they are trying to teach the kids to add 3-digit-numbers. It's just the first day...I miss Kindergarten. I love learning, I hate schooling.

Rant over.

Cole loves school. He will never hear his full name called by his teacher because he is a GOOD BOY. He told his teacher he loves every little thing about school. He couldn't possibly pick a favorite subject because he adores them all. Cole is that weird breed that prefers non-fiction reading to fiction. He begs me to come up with word problems for him and he desperately wants to be put in Spanish lessons.

I guess I remember loving school at that age too. Crap. I need to just let summer go.

I did get to take Cole back-to-school clothes shopping. He amazes me because he has his own style. I guess you could call it 80s-snow/skateboarder chic. Please note the Shaun White shoes and turquoise blue rims. Currently his two favorite possessions.




After a year-long hiatus from blogging I felt I needed a new start. What better time to start a new blog then at the start of a new school
year? I am not going to attempt to catch my tens of readers up. I may post some highlights...yawn...I've been there done that, do you really care that much?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

libbie said...

I really care. That much. So catch me up :)
I love Cole. I love everything about him. He is a stud. And he's going to be VERY successful some day. VERY.

Erika said...

Thanks Libbie. I think I need to change my blog line to "read by me best friend everyday". That's pretty much its only claim to fame. Love you!

Laena said...

HEY!!!!!

I read it too. I even FOLLOWED you ;)