Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Into the great wide open...

...under them skies of blue. -Tom Petty

Did I ever tell you about my first Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers concert?
No?
That's another blog post.


(That's not a cool camera effect, it's me taking a picture through the screen)

The house was quiet and still. As I've told you before, that's a bad thing. It means the kids are doing something NAUGHTY! I went room to room, checking under beds (where I've previously found Cash eating Pappy's Girl Scout cookies), behind sofas (where I've found Cash cutting up $1 bills with safety scissors), and in the food storage room (where I've found Cash unwrapping and licking every sucker in an old Halloween candy bin). Anyway, I was searching and searching and could not find Cash anywhere. I started to panic. I'd looked on the playground and in the sand pit, nada. I walked through Momo's piano room and that's when I spotted him.

Standing quietly on the retaining wall.
Looking far off in the distance at...I don't know what.
His hands were in his pockets.
The wind was rifling his hair.
He looked so small.

Apparently, he was in a contemplative mood because he stood like that for 15 minutes. A very long time in Cash minutes.

I wonder what he was seeing?
I wonder what he was thinking?
I wonder what he was feeling?

I wonder if he knows how much I love his mischievous little face!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

9 comments:

Laena said...

Why did this make me get all teary-eyed???

Maybe it's because I know you captured something so rare. Cash pausing for any length of time is priceless. I love it! I love him :)

Erika said...

Thanks, he loves his Aunt Laena too.

He definitely never slows down. Thanks for reading.

PA said...

With a boy like that, I expect his mind had just out raced his little body.

libbie said...

I love that boy! And I am super curious about what he was thinking too. Perhaps he was thinking about Lila. She did tell me she wanted to marry him about 20 minutes ago. I told her she could :)

Anonymous said...

He is the cutest 2 year old EVER!
This little genius is probably thinking "How will I cure cancer?" or "How will I create World Peace?" or more likely, "How will I top my brother's pee stories which my Aunt Lisa seems to be fascinated with?"
Gosh, I hope he will stand still for 5 seconds so that I can HUG him next month!
Your whole family is so darn adorable it's disgusting! {:>}
xoxo
ps. maybe post your first TP concert experience on Oct. 20, TP's birthday? Would love to read about it!! xoxo

Erika said...

Pa & Aunt Lisa- You guys are so cute. I am glad you think highly of the little rugrat.

Aunt Lisa- I celebrate that day privately. J/k. Maybe I will share it then, but I am pretty sure I'll have 10 days of Florida posts that'll I want to share more!

Libbie- Lila and Cash. Oh mercy, there's double trouble! But yes, please inform Lila that she WILL marry Cash whether she likes it or not!

Liz said...

I totally thought you were going to say he was out there peeing. That's what my boys do when they've stopped moving outside. :)

He's so cute standing all alone out there. What a great picture!

Elizabeth said...

Cash makes me so want a 2 year old again! I love that age. He makes me smile all the time :)

Erika said...

Liz, yes that's what I would've thought too. In fact we've had to discuss with the boys the inappropriateness of pooping outside. We let them "pee on a tree" but pooping crosses the line. They said "the dogs do it all the time. Don't worry, Coco will eat it!

Elizabeth-
You can have him. He's currently on my very last nerve. Thanks for commenting!